John Carroll spoils opener
for new head coach
Sept. 1, 2001

WASHINGTON - John Carroll used four first-half turnovers to ruin the debut of new CUA Head Coach Rob Ambrose in a 23-6 victory. Blue Streak quarterback Tom Arth was 26-for-38 for 343 yards a score. Teammate John Clark caught five of those passes for a game-high 109 yards. The Cardinals' Dan Evans led all receivers with eight catches for 75 yards.

Catholic running back Dan Boyle had a hard time splitting through the Blue Streak defense as he could only produce 50 yards on 15 carries.

The Cardinals (0-1) took the opening possession and drove 61 yards to the John Carroll 1-yard line before Boyle coughed up the football with JCU's Matt Sulzer recovering.

After the teams traded punts, the Blue Streaks struck first on the scoreboard as running back Ryan DeGeorge scrambled in from one yard to cap a 6-play 35-yard drive, with just 22 seconds in the first quarter to make it 7-0. John Carroll (1-0) took advantage of a bad punt that put them at the Catholic 35-yard line to break the scoreless tie.

On the ensuing possession, the Cardinal's Derek McGee threw one of his two interceptions on the day. McGee was 23-for-42 for 237 yards and had several drops as both teams worked through its first game jitters.

JCU's Franco Barile missed wide with a 42-yard field goal attempt with just four minutes to go in the first half. Catholic took the following possession to the Blue Streak 40-yard line where it fell short on a fourth-down conversion with 32 seconds remaining in the second quarter.

Instead of taking a knee to end the half, JCU used its two-minute offense to strike quickly. Starting at their own 40-yard line, Tom Arth hit John Clark on a 59-yard deep ball to put the Blue Streaks at the Catholic 1-yard line. Two plays later Arth would run it in from a yard with two seconds left to make it 14-0 at the half.

The second half showed some life for Catholic as Lonnie Meadows intercepted a pass on the first play of the half and returned it to the Cardinal 29-yard line. The JCU defense held fast and forced another Cardinal punt. Catholic was just 3-for-15 on third downs.

After a John Carroll stop on fourth down, Arth would lead the Blue Streaks on a 3-play, 69-yard drive hitting Jeff Lerner on a 37-yard strike and completing a 35-yard pass in the end zone to Brian Shellito to make it 20-0. The extra point attempt was mishandled which kept the JCU lead to 20.

JCU added an early fourth-quarter field goal to make 23-0 before Catholic finally got on the scoreboard. On the first play after the ensuing kickoff, McGee launched a perfect toss down the left sideline hitting Jim Jankiewicz in stride and raced 74 yards into the end zone. Jankiewicz finished the day with four receptions for 99 yards. The two-point conversion failed to make it 23-6.

After a JCU punt, Catholic looked to cut into the lead as McGee led Catholic on an 11-play drive, hitting on 7-of-10 attempts to move the offense to the JCU 38. His final completion was fumbled and recovered by the Blue Streaks' Erik Warren ending all hopes of a CUA comeback.

Catholic returns to action next Saturday as they host Franklin & Marshall at DuFour Field at 1 p.m.