CUA drops overtime heartbreaker in battle of top-10 teams

CUA drops overtime heartbreaker in battle of top-10 teams

SALISBURY, Md. – No. 7 CUA dropped a heartbreaker to No. 2 Salisbury on Wednesday evening, falling to the Seagulls in a penalty shootout.  The teams were tied at three after regulation and then battled for two 15-minute overtime periods before needing the shootout to decide things, which Salisbury won 2-0.

After 70 minutes of intense field hockey, the teams needed more time to decide a winner, so they headed for overtime. 

In the first extra session, CUA was awarded a pair of penalty corners early, but was unable to get off a shot.

Soon after, the Seagulls were awarded a penalty corner, and that led to a shot by Summer Washburn, which Catherin Mirsky stopped in to make a defensive save on.

At the 75:49 mark, the Cardinals were awarded another penalty corner and eventually Colleen Harwood got a shot off, but Rachel Clewer was there for the save for Salisbury.

That turned out to be CUA's final shot of the first 15 minutes and the teams headed for another extra session.

The Seagulls took the first three shots of the second OT, but two were wide and CUA's Megan Comunale stopped the other, keeping the teams deadlocked at three.

At the 97:31 mark, Salisbury's Kristina Fusco was awarded a penalty stroke, but her attempt went wide.

Comunale then came up with three straight saves for the Cardinals, and soon after, the period was over.

That sent the teams into a shootout, which pits one player from each team vs. the opposing goalkeeper at a time.

CUA was up first, but Taylor Elliott's shot was off the mark.  Washburn was next and she scored to put Salisbury in front by one.

Madalyn Dennis was up next for CUA, but her shot missed as well.  Emily Voshell then took her turn for the Seagulls and scored to put the home team in front by two.

CUA was unable to get on the board in the shootout, but proved that its young team can play with anyone in the country.

The Cardinals controlled the action during the early going, taking a 1-0 lead on Hayley Wright's goal 3:30 into the game.

Melissa Slocum tied the score with her fifth goal of 2012 at the 11:12 mark, but Maura Campbell answered for the Cards just two minutes later to put the visitors back on top.

The lead grew to 3-1 when Campbell fed Katie Bertrand for a score, and that is how things remained at halftime.

A little over a minute into the second half, Salisbury pulled within one on Washburn's second goal of the season.

Six minutes later, the game was tied when Fusco found the back of the cage for her seventh score of the year.

50 minutes into the game, Bertand looked to put CUA back on top, but her shot was stopped by Clewer.

Harwood took CUA's final shot of regulation at the 66:34 mark, but Clewer made the save.

After both teams took six shots in the opening half, Salisbury outshot CUA 26-6 the rest of the way to finish with a 32-12 advantage.  There were 27 penalty corners in the game, with CUA taking 12 of them, and Comunale finished with 14 saves in goal for the Cards.

On Saturday, CUA opens up defense of its Landmark Conference championship when the Cardinals welcome Moravian to Cardinal Stadium.  Start time is set for 1 p.m.