Cardinals fall to Crusaders in double overtime in league opener

Cardinals fall to Crusaders in double overtime in league opener

SELINSGROVE, Pa. – The CUA field hockey team suffered its first loss of the 2010 season on Saturday as the No. 17 Cardinals fell to Susquehanna in heartbreaking fashion by a 4-3 score in double overtime.  The game-winning score came from Julia Amendola at the 85:51 mark of the contest.

CUA was credited with 14 shots in the game, while Susquehanna totaled 17 attempts.  The teams combined for 28 penalty corners, including 13 by CUA and 15 by the Crusaders. 

CUA’s Krystyanna Ramsdell stopped six shots in goal and Susquehanna goalkeeper Margaret Ruth sent back seven shots.

“I thought we came out flat and didn’t play our game in the beginning,” CUA head coach Gia Cillizza said afterwards.  “We had our chances to win, that’s for sure.  We didn’t convert on our penalty corners and we made a couple of errors, but it’s nothing we can’t fix.  We know what we need to do to improve.”

Susquehanna took three shots before CUA was able to take its first, which came at the 8:29 mark by Kendall Petschauer.  Just over a minute later, the Crusaders struck for the game’s first goal when Laurel Monaghan took a feed from Ally Bradley and Diana Mask to put the home team in front 1-0.

Four minutes later CUA evened things at one when Meredith Chandler beat her defender and fired a shot into the back of the cage to make it 1-1.  Chandler then scored her second goal of the day just two minutes later when Petschauer sent a long pass past the Crusaders defense that Chandler corralled and sent into the cage.

The teams continued to come after each other beginning when Susquehanna’s Ally Bradley let a shot go at the 16:25 mark that went high, but CUA took the next five shots. 

A Susquehanna penalty corner at the 24:42 mark led to a Crusaders goal to even things at two as Rebecca Entwistle scored on a centering pass from Amendola.

Another Crusaders penalty corner, this one coming at the 32:40 mark, led to Susquehanna’s third goal of the opening half, as Bradley scored off Entwistle’s assist.  That proved to be the final goal and shot of the first 35 minutes, and the teams soon headed off for halftime.

CUA’s first shot of the second half turned out to be a successful one, as Mary Swarthout took a pass from Tory Gagliardi and found the back of the cage with under 11 minutes to play to even things at three. 

Mary Beth Leo’s shot went wide at the 65:56 mark for CUA, while Tracey Scanlon’s shot as time expired needed to be sent away by Amendola on a defensive save.  That play ended regulation and sent the teams into overtime.

In the first extra session CUA was awarded a penalty corner early, and Scanlon eventually took a shot, but it sailed wide.  The Cardinals got another try at the 79:34 mark, this time by Hannah Closson, but Ruth stopped the shot and time expired shortly after, setting up a second overtime.

CUA was awarded four penalty corners in the second session, but could not come up with the game-winner.  Scanlon’s shot at the 83:07 mark was stopped by Ruth and soon after Amendola scored off a rebound to send CUA to its first loss in eight tries this season.

CUA has little time to dwell on its first setback as the Cardinals are right back in action on Sunday with a trip to Dallas, Pa., to take on Misericordia.  Game time is set for 1:00.  “I think it will be good for us to get right back out there,” Cillizza said.  “It will allow us to take what we didn’t do well today and get to work right away at correcting it.”