Holmes' layup caps comeback for CUA in 69-67 win

Holmes' layup caps comeback for CUA in 69-67 win

CARLISLE, Pa. – Trailing 66-57 with 3:20 to play, CUA outscored Dickinson 12-1 down the stretch, capped by a Shawn Holmes layup with seven seconds on the clock to lift the Cardinals to a thrilling 69-67 win on Saturday.  The victory gave CUA the 2011 Days Inn Tip-Off Tournament championship.

Holmes was named MVP after scoring a game- and career-high 25 points on 9 of 14 shooting, which included three 3-pointers.  It marked the second straight day in which Holmes established his career high.  Steve Limberiou joined him on the All-Tournament Team after sinking 6 of 12 from the field en route to 16 points. 

A Chris Barsanti free throw with 3:20 left in the game put the host Red Devils in front by nine, but Holmes came down the other end and splashed a three to pull CUA within six.

Another free throw by Dickinson with 2:41 on the clock wound up being its last point, with Limberiou answering with a 3-pointer of his own.

Holmes then sank two at the foul line, and his jumper with just over a minute to play tied things at 67.

The Cardinals forced Dickinson into a missed shot on its next possession and Darrell Carroll came down with the rebound.  With only seven seconds left Holmes got inside for a basket to put CUA in front for the first time since early in the half.

Gerry Wixted's game-winning attempt was off the mark for Dickinson as time expired and CUA earned its second win of the weekend.

CUA sank nine 3-pointers on the day, led by Billy Donovan with four.  The sophomore finished with 12 points and three rebounds, while Andy Roell and Jared Prince added four points apiece.

The Cardinals again won the rebound battle, pulling down 33 to Dickinson's 30, and CUA forced 17 turnovers.

Four Dickinson players hit for double figures, led by Barsanti and Wixted with 15 each, while Adam Honig added 11 and Tucker Landy scored 10.

After Dickinson scored the game's first five points, CUA responded with seven straight, capped by two Roell free throws.

A Honig 3-pointer at the 9:28 mark of the half put Dickinson in front 18-11, but CUA scored nine of the next ten to take a 20-19 lead.

Derek Puhalski hit a pair of free throws with 2:46 on the clock to give the Cardinals a 23-21 advantage, but Douglas Jakiela got to the hoop for a bucket to tie the score.

Donovan and Logan Furr traded 3-pointers in the final 1:31 and the teams went into halftime tied at 26.

CUA remains on the road for its next game, traveling to Frostburg State on Tuesday evening for a 7 p.m. tip.