After forcing OT, Cards drop 12-11 heartbreaker to Rangers

After forcing OT, Cards drop 12-11 heartbreaker to Rangers

WASHINGTON – CUA dropped a 12-11 heartbreaker to Drew in triple overtime on Saturday inside Cardinal Stadium. The Cards trailed the Rangers 11-6 with 9:39 remaining in regulation before exploding for five goals in a span of 6:13 to force OT. Following two scoreless four-minute overtimes, Mike Marone scored with 2:17 on the clock to give Drew the win.

CUA finished with a 54-47 advantage in shots on the afternoon, and a 34-28 lead in ground balls. Both teams were 16 of 20 in clear attempts, while Drew won 16 of the 28 face-offs.

CUA jumped out to a 4-0 lead 7:16 into the game, receiving two goals from Sean Cummins and one from Chris Wellock and Brian Keith.

Drew responded with two goals in a span of less than a minute to make it a 4-2 game after one quarter.

Early in the 2nd, Scott Humphreys pulled the visitors to within one when he scored, but Ryan McDonough came right back for CUA and delivered a terrific goal to put CUA back in front by two.

Humphreys responded with his second goal for the visitors, and Patrick Lemon's score with 37 seconds left in the quarter sent the teams into halftime tied at five.

The Rangers took their first lead of the day when Mark Barus found the back of the net 47 seconds into the 3rd, and they added four more goals to open up a 10-5 lead after three quarters.

Cam Feldman pulled the Cardinals to within four when he found the back of the net with 9:54 remaining, but Steve Gentile quickly answered for Drew to make it 11-6.

Brian Keith made it a four-goal spread when he scored with 8:47 on the clock, and Brendan Englert followed with another CUA goal to pull the Cards within three.

Englert made it two in a row with 5:55 to play, and CUA was suddenly within two. Walter Hickey then scored a little over a minute later and the comeback was near complete.

Following a Drew turnover, Englert scored his third goal of the contest with 2:34 to play, and the teams were tied at 11.

CUA then won the ensuing face-off, but two shots by the Cardinals were off the mark.

Drew had three shots in the final 15 seconds, but one went wide, another hit the post and Harrison Holak saved the last one with only four seconds to play.

The teams then headed for the first OT session, where Holak made three huge saves to keep the score knotted at 11.

In the second overtime, CUA outshot the Rangers 6-3, but the Cards were unable to find the back of the net.

Drew got off the first two shots of that second OT session, but both went wide.

CUA then came down the other end and took three shots, but Andrew Goldberg was able to stop all three for the Rangers.

Drew won the opening face-off of the third overtime and soon after called a timeout. Following the stoppage Humphreys took a shot that sailed high, but with 2:17 on the clock, Marone found the back of the net for the game-winner.

Holak made 16 saves on the afternoon for the Cards, while Patrick Pfaff stopped one shot in nine minutes of action.

Goldberg sent back 20 shots on the day, including five in the overtime periods.

CUA remains at home for its next game, hosting Goucher on Saturday, April 13 at 1 p.m. from inside Cardinal Stadium.