CUA can't hold early lead, falls to Frostburg State 10-8

CUA can't hold early lead, falls to Frostburg State 10-8

WASHINGTON – CUA (1-3) jumped in front of Frostburg State 3-0 on Saturday afternoon, but the Cardinals were unable to hold on and fell to the Bobcats 10-8 inside Cardinal Stadium. The teams were tied at five at halftime, before Frostburg State (1-0) scored three of the third quarter's four goals to open up an 8-6 advantage.

CUA took a 1-0 lead on Brendan Englert's goal at the 10:36 mark of the first quarter, and after Sean Cummins scored at the 6:33 mark, the Cards were on top 2-0.

Less than a minute later, Nathan Chan made it a three-goal advantage for CUA after Englert fed him with an assist.

Frostburg State got on the board for the first time when Devin Colegrove scored with 4:15 to play in the quarter.

Spenser Love pulled the Bobcats to within one with 10:39 to play in the 2nd, and Chris Rios tied things at three with a goal at the 6:42 mark.

FSU took its first lead of the afternoon when Love scored a man-up goal with 5:40 to play before halftime, but Cummins answered with the equalizer just over a minute later.

Cummins then scored on the man-down to give CUA a 5-4 advantage, but Zach Douglas' goal with 38 seconds on the clock sent the teams into halftime knotted at five.

The back-and-forth continued in the 3rd when Chris Wellock scored for CUA at the 12:02 mark to make it a 6-5 game.

With 9:28 to play in the 3rd, Nick Stailey tied things once again, when Colegrove fed him for a man-down goal.

Just over a minute later, Love put the visitors in front 7-6 with a man-up goal.

Rios then closed the scoring out for the quarter with a goal at the 4:42 mark, putting the Bobcats up by two.

17 seconds into the 4th, Love scored another man-down goal to make it 9-6, and after Ricky Kneebone found the back of the net with 5:59 on the clock, the Cardinals found themselves down four.

CUA continued to hang around, pulling to within 10-7 on Englert's third score of the day with 4:57 on the clock.

With less than two minutes to play, Chan brought CUA to within 10-8 with a goal.

The Cardinals then won the ensuing face-off, but Walter Hickey's shot was saved by Tyler Haines.

Frostburg State turned the ball over though, giving CUA one more chance to get closer. The Cards wound up committing a turnover of their own in the final minute, and soon after, the game was over.

CUA finished with a 37-32 advantage in shots, and a 34-30 lead in ground balls. Harrison Holak stopped nine shots in goal for CUA, while Haines sent back 16 for the Bobcats.

CUA is back in action on Tuesday afternoon when the Cardinals play host to Hampden-Sydney at 3:30 p.m.