Hampden-Sydney pulls away from Cardinals on wet and cold afternoon

Hampden-Sydney pulls away from Cardinals on wet and cold afternoon

WASHINGTON – On a cold, wet and windy afternoon, CUA (1-4) had its hands full with a tough Hampden-Sydney (2-1) squad, falling to the Tigers 14-5 inside Cardinal Stadium. The teams were tied at four after one quarter, before HSC ripped off the next 10 goals to surge in front. Brendan Englert finished with a goal and two assists for the Cardinals.

The Tigers struck first when Jake Koferi scored off a feed from James Hughes a little over three minutes into the contest to give the Tigers a 1-0 lead.

Two minutes later, Englert fed Walter Hickey for a man-up goal and the score was knotted at one.

Englert then got into the scoring act when he found the back of the net at the 7:03 mark to put the Cards on top for the first time.

The lead then reached 3-1 on Bobby Kusbit’s goal at the 5:47 mark.

Less than a minute later, the Tigers received a goal from Hughes to pull within one, and with 3:15 remaining in the quarter, Corey Mavromatis scored a man-up goal to tie things at three.

The back-and-forth continued with John Quinnan finding the back of the net with 11 seconds remaining to give the lead back to CUA, but Hughes scored just before the horn sounded to send the teams into the 2nd tied at four.

2:31 into the 2nd, HSC grabbed a one-goal lead when Abbot Wallenborn scored.

A goal by Ryan Martin with 8:04 to play before the half then gave the visitors a 6-4 advantage.

Mike Funk closed out the scoring for the half with a goal at the 2:35 mark to send the teams into halftime with the Cards trailing by three.

Just over a minute into the 3rd, Hampden-Sydney increased its lead to four on Ryan Martin’s goal, and 30 seconds after that, the Cards found themselves down by five.

The Tigers added three more goals in the quarter to open up a commanding 12-4 advantage heading into the 4th.

Following two more HSC goals, CUA scored for the final time when Brian Keith took a feed from Nathan Chan and found the back of the net to make it 14-5.

HSC finished with a 35-23 advantage in shots, and a 33-24 lead in ground balls.

Patrick Pfaff sent back five shots in 40 minutes of action in goal for CUA, before Mark Destro came in and stopped four shots.

HSC keeper David Noftsinger stopped 12 shots for the visitors.

CUA now heads out for its annual spring break trip. Up first for the Cards is a matchup vs. DeSales University on March 6 in Clearwater, Fla. Start time is set for 1 p.m.