Cardinals earn first Landmark Conference win with big comeback

Cardinals earn first Landmark Conference win with big comeback

WASHINGTON, Pa. – CUA rallied from a five-goal deficit to down Washington and Jefferson 10-9 on Wednesday evening. The Cards trailed 9-4 with 3:25 to play in the 2nd before outscoring the Presidents 6-0 the rest of the way. Walter Hickey netted the game-winner with 1:29 remaining in the game. With the win, CUA remains in contention for a spot in next month's Landmark Conference Tournament.

Washington and Jefferson jumped out to a 2-0 lead with a pair of goals in the first nine minutes of action.

With 4:51 to play in the 1st, Brendan Englert got the Cardinals on the board, but the Presidents answered with a goal from John Zustra to go back in front by two.

Englert netted his second score of the quarter off a feed from Cam Feldman to make it a 3-2 game after 15 minutes of action.

The teams continued to trade goals with W&J going on top 4-2, only to see Hickey answer for the Cards to again make it a one-goal spread.

CUA pulled even when Nathan Chan scored a man-up goal at the 9:47 mark of the 2nd, tying things at four.

The Presidents responded in a big way, ripping off five straight goals in a span of 3:06 to open up a commanding 9-4 advantage with 3:25 to play before the half.

Brian Keith's goal at the 3:07 mark pulled CUA to within four at intermission.

There were only two goals scored in the 3rd, with both coming from CUA. Keith found the back of the net with 4:23 on the clock, and Hickey's score with 2:20 to play made it a 9-7 game entering the final quarter.

With more than half of the 4th over, Hickey scored a man-up goal to pull the Cards within one, and the comeback was nearly complete.

Following a save of a Washington and Jefferson shot, CUA took the ball down the other way and held onto it for 2:11, culminating in Sean Cummins' game-tying score with 2:47 to play.

The Cardinals then won the ensuing face-off, but Feldman's shot with 1:51 remaining was stopped by Ran Kirby.

The CUA defense never wavered though, causing a pair of turnovers in the next 20 seconds, and that paved the way for Hickey's game-winner with 1:29 to play.

Following Hickey's score, Kevin Murray won what turned out to be the final face-off of the evening and the Cardinals ran out the clock for their sixth win of 2013.

Both teams were credited with 33 shots on the night, while CUA finished with a 31-22 advantage in ground balls.

Cummins led the way with a pair of caused turnovers, and seven Cards scooped up three ground balls. Murray won 13 of 21 face-offs, and Harrison Holak stopped 11 shots in goal, including five in the 2nd half to keep the Presidents off the scoreboard.

The Cardinals remain on the road for their next game, traveling back to Pennsylvania to face Susquehanna on Saturday afternoon. The opening face-off is set for 1 p.m.