CUA completes comeback, downs Williams 8-7 in overtime

CUA completes comeback, downs Williams 8-7 in overtime

WASHINGTON – CUA picked up an impressive 8-7 overtime win over Williams College on Wednesday evening inside Cardinal Stadium. The Cardinals trailed by three midway through the 4th quarter, before rallying to tie the score and force overtime. Walter Hickey then delivered the game-winner with 1:46 remaining in the extra session.

Coming down the stretch of regulation, CUA trailed the Ephs by one. With 1:06 on the clock, the Cards called a timeout to draw up their final play.

The Cardinals were able to get a shot from Brendan Englert, but it went wide. CUA retained possession however, and following another timeout, Sean Cummins took a shot that was saved.

Englert was right there to pick the ground ball up though, and soon after, the junior found the back of the net, tying the score at seven and sending the game into overtime.

Nathan Chan had a chance to give the Cards the lead in OT, but his shot at the 2:21 mark hit off the post.

35 seconds later, Hickey scored a man-up goal, sending the Cards to a thrilling victory.

Williams was credited with 37 shots on the evening, while CUA finished with 27. The Ephs won the ground ball battle, 16-13, while the Cards went 3-5 in the man-up.

Harrison Holak had a terrific day in goal for the winners, stopping 17 shots, while Williams 'keeper Dan Whittam made eight saves.

Following nine minutes of scoreless lacrosse, Williams got on the board first when Jack Lauroesch scored off a feed from Bryson Gilbert-Bono to give the Ephs a 1-0 lead.

A little over a minute later, Michael Hellstern made it 2-0 Williams when he scored off a feed from Lauroesch.

CUA got on the board for the first time 44 seconds into the 2nd quarter when Hickey scored off an assist by Englert.

The score remained 2-1 for the next eight minutes, until Tanner Macivor scored with 6:36 on the clock to give the Ephs a 3-1 advantage.

With less than three minutes remaining until halftime, Englert scored a man-up goal to pull the Cards within one.

Williams struck again before intermission however, receiving a goal from Evan Dedominicis to put the visitors in front by two at the break.

1:32 into the 3rd quarter, CUA's Brian Keith took a feed from Cam Feldman and found the back of the net to pull the Cardinals within one.

The back-and-forth continued with Dedominicis scoring with 7:16 on the quarter clock to give Williams a two-goal lead. Andy Grabowski then scored another goal for the Ephs less than a minute later to make it a three-goal spread.

Early in the 4th, Keith pulled the Cards to within two with a goal of his own. William Cowan assisted on the score.

Midway through the final quarter, Dedominicis netted his third score of the evening, giving Williams a 7-4 advantage with 7:39 on the clock.

CUA continued to hang tough, receiving a man-up goal from Chan 1:20 later to pull the Cardinals to within two.

With just over three minutes to play, Chan struck again, this time scoring an unassisted goal to make it a one-goal game, setting up the dramatic finish.

CUA remains at home for its next game, hosting UMass-Boston on Saturday afternoon at 2 p.m. on Senior Day.