Englert's OT goal caps Cardinals comeback win at Susquehanna

Englert's OT goal caps Cardinals comeback win at Susquehanna

SELINSGROVE, Pa. – Brendan Englert's goal with 1:28 remaining in overtime lifted the Cardinals to a thrilling 9-8 win at Susquehanna (5-4) on Saturday afternoon.  CUA (9-3) trailed the Crusaders 7-4 entering the fourth quarter but the Cardinals outscored Susquehanna 4-1 in the final 15 minutes of regulation to force the extra session.

Susquehanna's Justin Darlea found the back of the net with 2:38 remaining in the third quarter to put the Crusaders on top 7-4, leaving CUA with plenty of work to do in the fourth.

The Cardinals did not score until 7:15 remained in the game when Tyler Catalani took a feed from Englert and scored to make it 7-5.  Ten seconds later Sean Cummins struck, this time off an assist from Bobby Kusbit, and CUA was within one, 7-6.

25 seconds after that Englert scored to tie the score at seven with 6:40 left to play.  Jimmy Sinnott then gave CUA its first lead since the second quarter when he netted a goal with 2:01 to play to make it 8-7.

It looked as though the Cardinals had stolen this one but Susquehanna had other plans with Tim Pastore finding the back of the net with only 20 seconds remaining in regulation.  That knotted the teams up at eight and sent them into OT.

In the extra session CUA won the opening face-off and got the ball first but Camden Feldman's shot was blocked.  Susquehanna then got the ball and cleared it, but Rob Ryan caused a huge turnover by Billy Spack and CUA regained possession.

Following a Cardinals clear they worked the ball around looking for a shot.  The ball eventually wound up in the hands of Englert and he delivered the dramatic game-winner with 1:28 left on the clock.

Spack scored the game's first goal to put the home team in front 1-0, but Sinnott answered with back-to-back scores for the Cardinals to give them a 2-1 lead, which is how it remained heading into the second quarter. 

The Crusaders scored the first three goals of the second to go in front 4-2 with 7:58 remaining before halftime.  Sinnott struck again though, this time with 3:31 on the clock, to make it a one-goal game.  The score remained that way when the teams retired for halftime.

Catalani tied things at four with his score with 12:48 on the third quarter clock but Susquehanna controlled play from there, outscoring CUA 3-0 in the final 9:26 of the quarter to take a 7-4 lead into the fourth.

The Cardinals outshot the Crusaders 48-39, while Susquehanna won the ground ball battle, 38-26.  Ryan and Sinnott led CUA with four ground balls apiece and Ryan was the team leader in caused turnovers with two.  Sean McKenna went the entire 60 minutes in goal and stopped 13 shots, and CUA was 23 of 25 on clear attempts. 

There were 21 extra-man opportunities in the game, but both defenses did a solid job with CUA finishing 2 for 11 on the EMO and Susquehanna just 3 of 10.

The Cardinals will be back in action on Tuesday evening when they play host to Shenandoah from inside Cardinal Stadium.  Action gets underway beginning at 7 p.m.