Big Second Half Propels CUA Over Gallaudet

Big Second Half Propels CUA Over Gallaudet

  Big Second Half Propels CUA Over Gallaudet
Cards score six goal in the second to get the 8-1 victory

WASHINGTON - The CUA men's soccer team (2-5-1, 1-2) got on the winning track with a big victory over Gallaudet (0-8, 0-4 CAC) Thursday evening at DuFour Field.  The Cards scored six goals in the second half to win 8-1 nabbing their first CAC victory of the season.

David Hidalgo (Bethesda, Md./St. John's College) started the scoring just two minutes into the game with a header goal off of a free kick.  The Bison were able to hold off numerous Cardinal advances during the remainder of the half, but just before the break CUA struck again.  Senior Daniel Clifford (Marlton, N.J./Holy Cross) hit on a penalty kick to make it 2-0.

After halftime, the Cardinals really began to fire.  Freshman leading-scorer Matt Brady (Woodbridge, Va./Potomac) hit his first goal of the afternoon from the left side at 49:09.  Brady assisted on the next score to classmate Tim McAneny (Mount Laurel, N.J./Holy Cross) who weaved down the right side to make the score 4-0.

The Bison were able to get on the board off of a goal by Sam Harris who kicked a shot almost parallel to the goal from the right.  CUA keeper Bill Frame (Hockessin, Del./Salesianum) got a finger on the ball but it was not enough and Gallaudet made it 4-1.

After allowing a goal, the Cards came back with a vengeance.  Freshman Devin Marino (Waldwick, N.J./Bergen Catholic) took a ball from Clifford at 69:48 to get his second goal of the season.  Ten minutes later Brady scored his second of the evening with an unassisted shot.

The final two scores came very close together and were both by junior Robbie O'Brien (Columbia, Md./Long Reach).  At 78:35 O'Brien was awarded a penalty kick which he connected on, less than a minute later he made a long run down the left side and hit the back right corner of the net.

With the weather turning worse by the minute, the game was called for lightening at 80:57 making the final 8-1.  The Cardinals had 20 shots for the game with the Bison taking six.  CUA took seven corners to Gallaudet's one and both keepers managed to stop five shots.

The Cards will continue their home stand with a game on Sunday at 3:00 p.m., versus Columbia Union.