Men's Soccer Rallies Late but Falls Short Against McDaniel, 3-2

Men's Soccer Rallies Late but Falls Short Against McDaniel, 3-2

Men's Soccer Rallies Late but Falls Short Against McDaniel, 3-2


After falling behind 1-0 at the break, the CUA (10-3) offense shifted into overdrive blasting 14 second-half shots, but fell short against McDaniel (7-6), 3-2.

Timothy Wineke put the Green Terror on the board first converting a penalty kick in the 17th minute after a Cardinal foul in the box along the end line.  The game was played in both ends throughout the half with the teams combining for 13 first-half shots. CUA took nine shots in the half, but Robert Hollasch made six saves to keep the hosts off the board.

After the break CUA evened the game at 1-1 in the 68th minute after Tyler Bills found a cutting Michael DiMarco with a pass from the right side.  DiMarco found just enough space under a diving keeper to net his second goal of the season. 

After DiMarco's goal in the 68th minute, McDaniel wasted no time getting back its lead scoring in the 71st minute as Adam Dolbey followed Marrio Davis' shot off the post with a driven shot to the left side past a diving Quinn Daly.

Matt Hofrichter once again evened the game at 2-2 in the 75th minute when he took a pass from Mike Brennan on the left side of the box under Robert Hollasch's outstretched arms.

As the crowd began to wonder who was going to be the next to score or if the offensive strikes would end Michael Beard found the back of the net in the 81st minute to give McDaniel a 3-2 advantage.

CUA kept the offensive firepower on full tilt, adding five more shots in the final nine minutes but failed to net any of them.  The Cardinals best chance came after a corner was redirected out to the top of the box and was driven toward the inside of the right post.  Hollasch extended his body like a shortstop diving for a ball in the gap and punched the would-be goal away to secure the victory for the Green Terror.

CUA outshot McDaniel 23-10 in the contest, including 14-6 in the second half, but the Green Terror managed 12 saves.  The Cardinals also held a slight advantage in corner kicks, 5-3.

CUA will return to action on Saturday, Oct. 17 at 3 p.m. as the Cardinals will travel to Scranton for a Landmark Conference match-up.