CUA falls to Susquehanna in final minutes

WASHINGTON – The CUA men’s soccer team suffered a tough 3-2 loss to Susquehanna on Saturday in the 2010 Landmark Conference opener.  The Crusaders scored the game-winner with just over three minutes to play as they improve to 5-2 and drop the Cardinals to 4-5.

The match was very physical, and very even throughout.  There were 19 total fouls whistled on the teams and both schools were credited with nine shots.  Susquehanna was awarded eight corner kicks to CUA’s five and both teams had two saves. 

There were four fouls called before either team even got a shot off, which came by CUA’s Nick Sylvester at the 16:16 mark of the opening half.  Susquehanna’s first shot found its way into the back of the net when Brandon Kates took a feed from Joey Stellato and put the visitors up 1-0 at the 23:59 mark.

Less than two minutes later, the Cardinals’ Mike DiMarco was awarded a penalty kick.  He drilled the attempt past Crusaders keeper B.J. Merriam and the match was tied at one.

There were only four more shots taken in the remainder of the half, two by each team, as the score remained tied at one heading into intermission.

Susquehanna controlled the action early in the second, as Joey Stellato took a shot just over a minute in and two more Crusader shots ensued in the next six minutes.

CUA grabbed the lead for the first time at the 64:06 mark when Kevin Duffy unloaded a shot from the 18, off a DiMarco assist, and the Cardinals went on top 2-1.  CUA’s lead was safe for the next 17 minutes, until Susquehanna struck to tie things at two.

The way the match became tied was a bit unorthodox.  The Crusaders were awarded a penalty shot, but Jim Robertiello’s attempt was sent back by CUA’s Quinn Daly.  However, on the rebound, Robertiello fired a second shot into the back of the net and everything was knotted at two with under nine to play.

Seven minutes later the Crusaders scored the eventual game-winner when Brandon Eisenhart slid a shot past Daly to make it a 3-2 game.  Joey Stellato assisted on the score and time eventually ran out on the Cardinals.

CUA will return to action on September 29 when the Cardinals travel to take on St. Mary’s (Md.).  Match time is slated for 4:00.