No. 18 CUA falls to No. 5 Trinity in final seconds

No. 18 CUA falls to No. 5 Trinity in final seconds

WASHINGTON – In a game that saw plenty of back-and-forth, No. 5 Trinity outlasted No. 18 CUA 14-13 on Wednesday afternoon inside Cardinal Stadium.  The Bantams jumped out to a 5-0 lead, but the Cardinals stormed back and went in front 13-9 before Trinity scored five unanswered goals to secure the win.

Trinity controlled the early going, scoring the first five goals in a span of 11:35.  Hadley Duncan, Caite Irvine and Kaitlin Reedy scored one goal apiece, and Megan Leonard added two scores for the Bantams.

CUA got on the board for the first time at the 17:43 mark of the half when Katie Miller took a feed from Mary Robinson and found the back of the net to make it 5-1.

That started a 9-0 run by the Cardinals that lasted the remainder of the first half and into the second half.  Meghan Brady netted three goals during the run, Theresa Ciletti and Mary Swarthout scored twice and and Lauren Bernstein added one.

During the 9-0 run, Brady's goal at the 9:44 mark gave CUA its first lead of the afternoon, while Ciletti's score with 6:20 on the clock proved to be the final goal of the first half and sent CUA into intermission with a 7-5 advantage.

Continuing the run, Brady and Swarthout then scored back-to-back goals for the Cardinals in the first seven minutes of the second to put CUA in front 9-5.

Reedy ended the CUA run with a goal at the 19:23 mark to make it 9-6, but Ciletti responded with another Cardinals goal to up the lead to four.

The Bantams answered with two straight scores to pull within 10-8 with 9:02 on the clock, but the Cardinals increased their lead to five with goals by Erin Fowler, Mallory Vogel and Swarthout.

With 5:55 left in the game, CUA appeared to be comfortably in front, but Trinity had other plans.  Duncan's goal with 5:19 to play made it 13-9 and Shea Kusiak's score at the 3:35 mark made it a three-goal spread.

Duncan struck again with just over three minutes to play and after Liz Bruno found the back of the net with 1:57 remaining, CUA's lead was down to just one.

CUA won the ensuing draw control and was looking to run time off the clock, but Trinity forced a turnover with 1:16 to play.  The Cardinals then forced a turnover of their own with 42 seconds left, but they turned it right back to the Bantams six seconds later.

Bruno then tied the game at 13 with a goal with 21 seconds on the clock and the game looked as though it was headed for overtime.

Bruno won the ensuing draw control though and Duncan rifled a shot into the back of the net with just two ticks to play, to send Trinity to the dramatic win.

Trinity out shot CUA 37-23, and the Bantams also led the ground ball battle, 25-22.  Swarthout and Kelly Neligan led the Cardinals in ground balls with six and five, respectively, while Swarthout's three caused turnovers were tops for CUA.

Gabby Sena stopped 14 shots for CUA in goal, while Trinity keeper Bridget Kitchen sent back five shots in her 39 minutes of relief work.

On Saturday, CUA welcomes No. 19 Stevenson to town for a 1 p.m. showdown inside Cardinal Stadium.

Check out a few of the highlights from Wednesday's game below.