Cardinals Roll Past Yellow Jackets in 4-0 Win

Cardinals Roll Past Yellow Jackets in 4-0 Win

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The Catholic University men's soccer team delivered another big shutout win Wednesday evening, defeating Randolph Macon 4-0 after a 90-minute lightning delay at Carlini Field. 

The Cardinals (4-1) withstood the pressure from a formidable Randolph Macon (3-2) frontline of attackers and avoided an early deficit in the eighth minute. After giving up a foul in the box, junior goalkeeper Jack Long stepped up in a big way and saved the Yellow Jackets' penalty kick attempt to keep the match scoreless.

Randolph Macon outshot Catholic 7-6 in the first half but the hosts grew more into the contest as the minutes ticked on. 

Against the run of play, Catholic struck in a flash to score the match's first goal in the 25th minute. Sophomore Darius Siahpoosh collected a ball in Randolph Macon's half and crossed a ball into the penalty area. Senior midfielder Andrew Laurenzano was the runner, and he got his head on it to flick it over the keeper and score his first goal of the season. 

Lightning in the Washington, D.C. area caused an extensive delay in the middle of the contest, but the Cardinals came out hot in the second forty-five minutes of play. 

Siahpoosh was the creator once again in the 49th minute, when the midfielder found some space and whipped a left-footed cross into a dangerous area. Sophomore striker Ben Alexander flew into the air and beautifully flicked the ball to redirect it into the side netting. 

Fellow sophomore Paul Egan extended the lead to 3-0 in the 63rd minute with a rocket into the top left of the goal. Laurenzano headed the ball into the box off a throw-in, and eventually Nelson Zimmerman set up Egan at the six-yard box with a chance on goal that he did not miss. 

Catholic earned a penalty kick opportunity of its own after Andrew Morris was brought down in the box later in the second half. Senior midfielder Bradley Pierro stepped to the spot and buried the chance to put the Cards up 4-0 in the 76th minute.  

Long made four key saves in the first half to keep the Cardinals in the contest and five overall to earn another shutout. The Cardinals as a team have shutout their opponents in the last four matches, outscoring them 20-0 in that span. 

The Cardinals hit the road for their next match this Saturday, September 14 against Dickinson. Kickoff is slated for 3:30p.m.